Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Franklyn Ajaye



I had the pleasure of seeing Franklyn Ajaye perform recently at the Ice House. He did his "Does Your Head Spin Around?" bit. Man, I just love that bit. After the show I asked him to sign my copy of the book he authored, "Comic Insights, The Art Of Stand-up Comedy" This was the second time I met Franklyn. I used to work at Castle Rock Entertainment as a legal secretary and as I was typing away, he walked right past me. I couldn't believe my eyes. I approached him as he was leaving and he invited me and my beautiful wife (at that time) (well she is still beautiful but no longer my wife) to hang with him at the Los Angeles Improv, I believe that evening. One of the things he told me that night was the power was behind the camera...that I should try to get behind the camera if I wanted to have a healthy entertainment career. I had seen Franklyn perform live previously at The Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach. I remember that the crowd was not fully into him and I remember looking around at the crowd thinking, what is wrong with you people this guy is BRILLIANT!! Well the Ice House crowd loved him! Franklyn is one of my favorite comedians. "Does Your Head Spin Around? Does Your Fucking Head Spin Around?"