Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Slash @ HOB on the Sunset Strip on Tuesday, Oct 5th

I checked out Slash at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip, last night. I haven’t been at HOB in decades. It is still a great “intimate” place to check out talent, as long as you don’t mind standing for several hours. I am not a professional music critic, I only AT ALL COSTS, PROTECT BROOKLYN so for what it’s worth, I enjoyed the opening act, Bad City, a rock and roll band from Chicago, Illinois. In fact I enjoyed them more than the second act, Juke Kartel, from Australia. Juke Kartel put on a good show, just my personal preference, Bad City was more … raw. Ah…I love the uninhabited world of rock and roll. Then Myles Kennedy and his band and Slash hit the stage. It took me a little while before I started to warm up to the band. The crowd was pumped as soon as they hit the stage but hey, put Slash with any headliner band and any rock and roll audience would be pumped. At the close of the night I appreciated Myles Kennedy and the closing band a great deal. They are very “rock” - solid. They performed a few hits from the GNR’s catalog including “Sweet Child of Mine” as well as some strong original material. Overall it was a solid concert. And, unlike many concerts, the opening act started on time, in fact, they actually started 15 minutes earlier than advertised. I plan to check them out, again, tonight. By the way, if you haven’t read Slash’s biography and you’re a rock and roll and/or celebrity music fan, you must pick up that book!